Journalism is a diverse field of study. There is an array of journalism internships for students ranging from careers in broadcasting for a radio or TV station to editing for a newspaper or magazine.
The best journalism internships are the paid ones. They offer valuable first-hand experience about the inroads of the journalism profession as well as money-making opportunities.
Therefore, this article will be dedicated to listing the best-paid journalism internship in 2022. Journalism students will find this article particularly helpful because the internship will give them both experience and money.
What is a journalism internship?
A journalism internship is a (paid or unpaid) position with a media firm, which may be a digital, print, or broadcasting firm.
Consequently, Journalismis the production and distribution of reports on events based onfactsand evidence. It also applies to theoccupation, as well ascitizen journalistswho gather and publish these information.
Journalistic media include print, television, radio,the Internet. These also double as some places to get a paid jurnalism internship.
How to get a Paid Journalism Internship
A great internship can be one of the best ways to jumpstart a glowing career in journalism. Here are some tips on how to land one of those.
- Research internships in the sector you want to work in.
- Build a great resume. Ensure it contains all the relevant information that gives you an edge over others and make sure it portrays your strongest qualities.
- Make use of social media. Update your LinkedIn profile to include your professional experience and skill-set.
- Build your portfolio! You can volunteer as a reporter, freelance for a news site, a blog on your personal WordPress, take courses in SEO writing, Google Analytics, InDesign, Photoshop, etc. These will help you have a strong portfolio for your resume. As research shows, employers value these more than orthodox coursework in journalism school.
- Apply to as many journalistic firms as possible!
- Build your skill-set. Proficiency in C++, communication, and relevant software packages is an added advantage.
You need to read this: What Can You Do with a Journalism degree? Career & Salaries
Are there paid journalism internships abroad?
Yes. There are several opportunities for paid journalism and media internships all over the world in places ranging from Latin America and Africa to Western Europe. You only have to scour through and pick the one which you feel attunes to your career interests. However, it is far easier to get paid internships in more economically advantaged countries, such as in Europe.
What is the salary of paid Journalism internships?
The salary for the best-paid journalism internships varies by location. However, many journalism internships in countries like the United States pay very well for entry-level interns, with salaries ranging from $20,000 to over $40,000 per year.
15 Best Paid Journalism Internships.
#1. NBC4/T44 DIGITAL INTERNSHIP, SUMMER 2022
NBC is looking for interns to get involved with the nitty-gritty of media production, including writing, reporting, social media. Familiarity with the Washington, D. C., metropolitan area is a plus.
Location: Washington, DC. (Remote work).
Deadline: Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by March 1st, 2022.
Pay: $23,000 – $33,000 a year.
The basic requirement to apply for this paid journalism internship is an associate, bachelors or graduate student of an accredited with a GPA of 3.0 and above, and must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship by NBCUniversal.
- Desired backgrounds include Journalism or Broadcast Journalism, Digital/New Media Studies, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Production, English, Social Media, Research.
- Previous internship experience or on-campus involvement
- Ability to work effectively in a high-intensity environment, often under a tight deadline
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Spanish language skills a plus
#2. CONTENT ANALYTICS INTERN, SUMMER 2022
BuzzFeed, America’s largest independent digital media company, seeks interns to join their content analytics team in the summer. It is a perfect position for media interns who have a love for media and statistics. SQL and Python/R will often be used, but applicants without prior experience who are willing are encouraged to apply.
Location: Remote. Approved remote work locations include the following states – California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington.
Pay: $37,000 – $50,000 a year.
The applicant for this paid journalism internship must be legal to work in the US and be graduating in 2022 or later.
#3. WARNERMEDIA CNN DOCUMENTARY UNIT INTERN, SUMMER 2022
Warner Media, owners of CNN, offer an opportunity for journalistic interns to work in a dynamic and fast-paced unit along with experienced documentary journalists.
Location: LA, California.
Pay: $41,000 – $54,000 a year.
This paid journalism internship prefers students who major in Film and television or journalism, and proven interest in journalism and current affairs as well as basic research skills.
#4. INTERNSHIP, CFR DIGITAL, PODCAST, SUMMER 2022
The Committee on Foreign Relations (CFR) offers paid journalism internships and training in foreign policy, research, writing, and program planning to qualified candidates. It is on a fully virtual basis.
Location: New York, New York. (Remote work).
Pay: $33,000 – $44,000 a year.
- Undergraduate or graduate student focusing on journalism, international relations, or related field
- Strong research and writing skills
- Previous journalism, web, multimedia experience a plus
- Proficiency in MS Office and Google
#5. EDITORIAL INTERNSHIP AT THE NATION (SPRING)
For more than three decades The Nation Institute, in conjunction with The Nation magazine, has provided an internship program for early-career journalists interested in journalism and publishing.
Location: New York City
Pay: $18 per hour, $630 per week
Deadline: April 12 for summer/fall
Compensation and Credit: Interns are paid $18 per hour, $630 per week.
Applicants must submit the following:
- A cover letter that explains why you want to work for The Nation. Please mention Nation writers you follow and/or Nation pieces you’ve enjoyed.
- A resume.
- Two letters of recommendation with contact information for the referees included.
- Letters may be emailed directly by recommenders to Miguel Salazar at firstname.lastname@example.org or uploaded with the rest of your application materials.
- Answers to the application questions.
#6. DIGITAL MARKETING INTERN
LevelTen is releasing our next generation analytics platform, Intelligence, for WordPress. They are looking for up-and-coming digital marketers to help accelerate our growth. This job will be an ideal for a person to learn the ins and outs of digital marketing including content development, growth hacking, social outreach, SEO and of course, web analytics.
Location: Mix of remote and co-working in Dallas area
Pay: $10 – $12 per hour.
This paid journalism internship is for people who are passionate about online marketing is more important than any sort of experience. They must have strong writing skills. Video and graphics production skills a plus.
Additionally, some college credits in marketing, journalism, literature, English, media, data science or related major.
#7. RADIOLAB INTERNSHIP, SUMMER 2022 (REMOTE)
For the Summer of 2022, Radiolab is looking for a wildly curious, self-starting intern to join their team while we continue to work remotely. The internship will be 35 hours per week.
Location: New York, NY
Pay: $44,000 – $55,000 a year
- Any student (undergraduate or graduate) or person who has graduated no more than 12 months prior to the start of the internship period to which he/she is applying.
- In order to be eligible, you must be authorized to work in the United States and must be working from one of the following locations while working for NYPR: CA, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, MI, NH, NJ, NM, NY, PA, WI, Washington DC.
#8. GOTHAMIST INTERNSHIP, SUMMER 2022 (REMOTE)
Gothamist is looking for self-starting interns to join their team while they continue to work remotely during the summer session.
Interns at NYPR are given a robust internship program with hands-on responsibilities. Gothamist is a news and culture website about New York City that’s been in online publication since 2003 and is a separate site under the NYPR umbrella now.
Location: New York City, NY.
Pay: $45,000 – $63,000 a year
This best-paid journalism internship requires students in their junior or senior years. They don’t require students enrolled in a journalism/media studies program, though preference is often given to students who are looking to make a career in media upon graduation.
#9. INTERNSHIP – PRODUCTION (ORIGINALS PRODUCTION), SUMMER 2022
Description: This program offers you, as the intern, the opportunity to become directly involved in the day to day activities in the Production department at Zuffa LLC. They strive to make your internship experience challenging and interesting and make every effort to tailor it to your specific career aspirations.
Location: Las Vegas, NV.
Pay: $24,000 – $32,000 a year
- Must be currently enrolled in an academic program directly relating to the position; Television, Film, Communication, or Journalism Majors; Junior, Senior, or Graduate-level preferred.
- Willingness to learn and advance production knowledge and skills.
- Proficient in Premiere, Photoshop, and After Effects.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Comfortable using Mac-based products; knowledge of basic computer programs and a willingness to utilize and learn new programs.
- Sharp focus, self-motivated, and driven personality.
- Ability to take ownership of delegated work and projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
#10. WQXR INTERNSHIP, SUMMER 2022 (REMOTE)
Description: WQXR is looking for a self-starting intern to join their team while They continue to work remotely during the summer session.
They will rotate through all WQXR departments including on-air programming and digital and on-demand content.
Some of the skills they will acquire include writing and editorial experience, CMS and web content publishing, social media coordination, music programming in supporting their team with track selection and database management, and the potential for assisting with basic audio and video editing.
Pay: $44,000 – $55,000 a year
Any student (undergraduate or graduate) or person who has graduated no more than 12 months prior to the start of the internship period to which he/she is applying.
#11. BRIAN LEHRER SHOW INTERNSHIP, SUMMER 2022 (REMOTE)
Description: The Brian Lehrer Show is looking for self-starting interns to join their team while they continue to work remotely.
Interns at NYPR are given a robust internship program with hands-on responsibilities.
Location: New York City, New York.
Pay: $75,000 – $98,000 a year.
This paid journalsim internship has these requirements:
- Some journalism and office experience
- Highly motivated self-starters who can work in an environment of live news radio.
- Applicants who are aware of news and political affairs in New York and beyond.
- Website production skills are a welcome addition; please note them in your cover letter.
#12. DIGITAL MEDIA PRODUCTION INTERN
Marquee Sports Network is seeking a Digital Media Production Intern for their regional sports network.
This paid internship will offer the opportunity to both learn new skills and demonstrate your abilities to publish content to their website and app and work with a team of video producers, editors, writers, and website managers.
Location: Chicago, IL
Pay: $25,000 – $34,000 a year
This best paid journalsim internship is for current students who have the following qualifications:
- Prior experience or coursework focused on multimedia journalism, student television, website publishing, and video editing
- Limited experience with WordPress or another CMS
- Prior experience editing sports-related video content
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; previous sports writing experience a plus
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to produce quality content
- Ability to assist in executing editorial and creative decisions under supervision
- Passionate about sports with general knowledge of baseball
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Openness to feedback and the ability to receive feedback from others and apply it to the work
- High productivity when working independently and while collaborating with others
- Ability to work nights and weekends
#13. INTERN, CONTENT PRODUCTION
Cheetah Mobile is currently developing Live.Me office in Los Angeles to focus on developing audiences and building brands for their suite of content and lifestyle applications. The Intern, Content Production role will be responsible for preproduction needs for weekly content in the form of live broadcasts, short videos, and YouTube videos.
Location: LA, California.
Pay: $27,000 – $37,000 a year
- Pursuing a passion in a relevant field (Communications, Film, Mass Media Studies, Broadcast Journalism, etc.)
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Ability to balance multiple projects with conflicting priorities
- Passionate about digital production / video production/ commercials
- Proficient with Mac computers and possess a basic understanding of the pre-production process
- Available 20 hours per week.
#14. SOCIAL MEDIA INTERN, BEE LOUD DIGITAL MARKETING
Innisfree Hotels is currently searching for talented and motivated Social Media interns. Ideal candidates must have a strong interest in digital marketing, content creation, analytics and the hospitality industry.
Location: Gulfbreeze, FL
Pay: $20,000 – $26,000 a year
The requirements for this best paid journalism internship are:
- College junior or senior pursuing undergrad degree in Communication, Marketing, Advertising, Hospitality, Food and Beverage Marketing, Journalism or a related field
- Strong written and visual communication skills.
- Desire to work on a fast-paced, collaborative team.
- Creative, detail-oriented individual.
- Ability to take direction and meet deadlines.
- Experience with graphic design tools including Adobe Creative Cloud or Canva is preferred.
- Proficiency with Google Drive is required.
- Experience with major social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter with a strong interest in keeping up with trends.
- Availability to work 20 hours per week, with the flexibility to work around the class schedule.
This will be helpful during your application: Cover Letter for Internship That Won | Samples and Writing Tips
#15. TELEMUNDO INTERNSHIP SUMMER 2022
Telemundo is looking for college sophomores or hires as interns to work in various aspects of the news production and distribution process, including Corporate (HR, Legal, Corporate Communications, Corporate Strategy), Digital & Mobile Marketing & Ad Sales, News/Journalism, PR/Communications, TV/Film Production, Programming & Development, technology (Computer Science, Engineering, IT & Operations), Web & Graphic Design, Accounting & Finance.
Applicants must have a CGPA of at least 3.0 to apply.
Pay: $32,000 – $42,000 a year.
Program Dates: June 7th, 2022 – August 13th, 2022 (10 weeks)
As long as news is being reported around the world, there will always be opportunities for internships. Keeping portfolio strong and relevant will help you take advantage of this flux of opportunity.
We hope you can apply for these best paid journalism internships for the best internship experience.
|Rank||Employer||Median Monthly Pay|
by a panel of industry expert judges and thousands of public votes. Congratulations to the 2022 #1 Internship Program winner, Boeing. Do You Pay Your Interns? Boeing interns collaborate with employees to work on complex challenges across business units.Which is the best internship for students? ›
List of internships
- Graphic design intern. National average salary: $12.61 per hour. ...
- Marketing intern. ...
- Finance intern. ...
- Accounting intern. ...
- Software engineer intern.
- HighRadius. Intern - Monthly. ₹15,000. ...
- Cognizant Technology Solutions. Intern - Monthly. ₹12,567. ...
- Intel Corporation. Intern - Monthly. ₹35,849. ...
- Tata Consultancy Services. Intern - Monthly. ₹17,503. ...
- Microsoft. Intern - Monthly. ...
- EY. Intern - Monthly. ...
- Amazon. Intern - Monthly. ...
- 3.1★ Samsung R&D Institute India - Bangalore.
- Roblox. Median monthly pay: US$9,667. Roblox is not just an online platform where users go to play games. ...
- Uber. Median monthly pay: US$8,333. ...
- Salesforce. Median monthly pay: US$8,167. ...
- Capital One. Median monthly pay: US$8,333.
So, the best places to look for an internship include:
- Job and internship boards.
- Job fairs.
- Cold emailing the company directly.
- 1 – Full-Time or Part-Time?
- 2 – Weeks, Months, or Years?
- 1- Paid vs Unpaid Internships.
- 2 – Internship Location.
- 3 – Summer Internships.
At What Age Can You Be an Intern? While it's possible to get an internship at as young as 14 years old, many employers will likely have their own age restrictions set at 16 years old or above. This is because there are laws regulating the number of hours and type of work children below 16 can do.What are 2 disadvantages of an internship? ›
- It May Be Unpaid Work. Internships are a great way to get your foot in the door of the industry you want to work in. ...
- Interference With Schoolwork. ...
- It May Not Have the Structure You Expect. ...
- No Guarantee of a Job. ...
- You May Not Improve Your Skills.
- LinkedIn. LinkedIn is one of the most trusted professional networking websites for jobseekers and business people. ...
- Indeed. ...
- Chegg Internships. ...
- Glassdoor. ...
- Idealist. ...
- Mediabistro. ...
- Global Experiences. ...
Some of the best websites to secure an internship in India are Internshala, Linkedin, LetsIntern etc. These websites are easy to use and provides other services such as career guidance, resume building, interview preparation tips as well.What is salary called in internship? ›
A stipend is given as a fixed sum monthly. In some places, it is known as allowance. It is different from salaries that are offered for employment - it is more of a compensation for training. Interns instead of getting paid for their services are given stipend as a financial support.Will I get salary during internship? ›
Internship Salaries in India
The national average salary for a Internship is ₹12,000 in India.
The Salary Difference
The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) studies show that students with internship experience have higher starting salaries.
|Season / Year Location||Hourly Salary Monthly Salary||Apply Link|
|Summer 2020 Remote||$72.00 / hr $12,480 / mo||Not Open|
Paid internships, compared to unpaid ones, are few and far between. While you may succeed in finding a paid internship, the chances of you getting one in your field of choice are low. Many students compromise and end up pursuing paid internships in a different industry. It's not an industry they trained for.What salary should I ask for internship? ›
A good desired salary for an internship is $15 to $20 an hour. The range in how much an internship may pay can start from as little as $12 an hour to as much as $29 an hour. Factors such as industry and location Influence how much an intern can make.How do you get a top internship? ›
- Use internship finders, internship websites, and regular job sites to find internships. Also definitely check your school's internship website.
- Take advantage of social media. ...
- Go to job fairs at your school and others. ...
- Network smarter. ...
- Tailor your resume and interview style.
- A chance to separate yourself from your peers. ...
- An opportunity to learn from your supervisor. ...
- It should be a test of what you have learned. ...
- A chance to make an impact. ...
- A way to work with people who motivate you. ...
- A way to build essential skills. ...
- A chance to experience something new.
- Tailor your CV/résumé Tailoring your CV or résumé begins with you creating a list of everything you have accomplished in your educational and professional life. ...
- Form connections. ...
- Send your application. ...
- Prepare for the phone interview. ...
- Clean up your social media.
- Communication Skills. ...
- Organizational Skills. ...
- Initiative. ...
- Adaptability and Resilience. ...
- Ability to Work Independently. ...
- Problem-Solving and Decision-Making Skills. ...
- Curiosity / Inquisitiveness. ...
- Interpersonal Skills.
An internship is a professional learning experience that offers meaningful, practical work related to a student's field of study or career interest. An internship gives a student the opportunity for career exploration and development, and to learn new skills.How do interns get hired? ›
It's best to reach out to local colleges and universities and post on their job boards. You also can list internships on sites such as Internships.com, Idealist.org, Looksharp.com, or MonsterCollege.Is 27 too old for an internship? ›
You're Never Too Old to Learn Something New
It isn't the only incentive, and it still is beneficial to take the internship. Potential employers appreciate it when interviewees, especially older ones, take the initiative to get the experience they need to get the job they want.
Much like adult apprenticeships, there is an incorrect stereotype that internships are only for students and graduates starting in their careers. Internships are open to everybody and can be a perfect opportunity for those who want to change career or try something new.What is a good number of internships to apply to? ›
Applying for only a few internships
Internships are often highly competitive, with many applicants applying for a single position. To increase the likelihood that you will earn an interview and, ultimately, an internship, you should apply to 10 to 20 internships every two or three weeks.
Treat your internship resignation just like you would a job. Be professional and make sure to indicate your last day on the letter, which should coincide with the end of your two weeks. Keep hustling. Dedicating the remainder of your time to completing projects and finishing tasks is a great way to leave on good terms.Do interns get rejected? ›
Internship rejection is pretty much inevitable. Most people will experience it at least once if they are putting themselves out there. You just don't hear people talk about the rejections as much as they do the wins. It's kind of like dating, you win some and you learn some.Can someone fail an internship? ›
I've seen internships fail in a lot of different ways over the years, but when they fail the outcome is always the same for the employer; you miss out on fantastic work and creative ideas that could make you and your team look good, and you're wasting the money that you're investing in the intern.Which country is easy to get internship? ›
Australia is one of the most diverse countries offering an internship in almost every industry from software to marketing, arts, business, conservation, tourism, arts and lot more. You don't have the pressure to learn a different language as English is the primary language.
How much does an Intern make at Google in the United States? Average Google Intern hourly pay in the United States is approximately $26.00, which is 85% above the national average.Is paid internship taxable income? ›
Summer interns (who are paid), just like an intern working during any other time of year, assume tax duties starting with their very first paycheck.How do interns make money? ›
You'll notice that many internships opt to pay an hourly wage or salary. But you might also find some that pay weekly or monthly stipends. The average hourly wage of an intern tends to fall between $15.67 and $19.51 for freshmen and seniors in college, respectively.Is any internship better than no internship? ›
After 1 year, workers who had no internship had more secure jobs than people who took an internship, but were hired by a different company after graduation. After 5 years, workers who had no internship at all had the most secure jobs (64.2% were still with the first employer they worked with after graduation)Is it rude to ask if an internship is paid? ›
It's perfectly acceptable to ask whether an internship is paid or not. That said, if you're too uncomfortable to do so, it's also okay to skip the question altogether. Just know that you're not exactly leaving money on the table if there is no financial compensation.How many hours do interns work? ›
During the school year, interns usually commit between 10 and 20 hours a week. In the summer interns may commit up to 40 hours a week, especially if the internship is paid. Some capstone or practicums have requirements of 240 hours total.Can I negotiate internship salary? ›
Negotiating salary can be an great idea in certain cases!
Many companies view interns like any other position they are trying to fill. They want the best talent at a reasonable price. Most companies will set an initial salary that is competitive in order to attract the applicants they want.
56% of all interns in the United States have accepted job offers from the company they interned for. An additional 14% of all interns in the U.S. are given a part-time job offer after completing their internship.What is the stipend for TCS internship? ›
TCS Intern salary in India ranges between ₹ 0.2 Lakhs to ₹ 8.0 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 3.0 Lakhs.How much do JP Morgan interns get paid? ›
Average JPMorgan Chase & Co Summer Intern hourly pay in the United States is approximately $13.00, which is 7% below the national average.
Average JPMorgan Chase & Co Business Intern hourly pay in the United States is approximately $21.11, which is 39% above the national average.Does TCS offer stipend for internship? ›
The Tata Consulting Company never offers a salary or stipend for the aspirants who are doing Internships 2022 in its company. Most of the aspirants never interest to do an internship if they are not paying for our work. But this experience provides great benefits to the candidates.What is TCS salary for freshers? ›
TCS Fresher salary in India ranges between ₹ 2.2 Lakhs to ₹ 5.0 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 3.5 Lakhs.How much does Wipro pay in internship? ›
What is the salary of Intern at Wipro ? Average Wipro Intern salary in India is ₹ 3.4 Lakhs for less than 1 year of experience to 2 years. Intern salary at Wipro India ranges between ₹ 1.8 Lakhs to ₹ 5.8 Lakhs.How much do Goldman interns get paid? ›
Average Goldman Sachs Summer Analyst hourly pay in the United States is approximately $21.00, which is 7% above the national average. Salary information comes from 2 data points collected directly from employees, users, and past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 36 months.How much do Bank of America interns make? ›
Average Bank of America Intern hourly pay in the United States is approximately $16.07, which is 14% above the national average.How much do Goldman Sachs interns get paid? ›
Finance Interns Earn Eye-Popping Pay.
|Company||Type of Firm||Wall Street Oasis|
|Millennium Management||Hedge Fund||8,333|
|Goldman Sachs||Investment Bank||8,333|
What is the salary of Intern at Deloitte ? Average Deloitte Intern salary in India is ₹ 3.1 Lakhs for less than 1 year of experience to 2 years. Intern salary at Deloitte India ranges between ₹ 0.8 Lakhs to ₹ 5.7 Lakhs.Is it hard to get a JP Morgan internship? ›
It's not at all easy to get an internship in an investment bank. It's even harder to get an internship at Goldman Sachs or JPMorgan.Is 10000 black interns paid? ›
Successful applicants will take part in an innovative new scheme designed to provide opportunities for young Black people at the Bar of England and Wales. The internships will take place for the second year of the programme in Summer 2023 and will be paid at the Living Wage.
Paid internships, compared to unpaid ones, are few and far between. While you may succeed in finding a paid internship, the chances of you getting one in your field of choice are low. Many students compromise and end up pursuing paid internships in a different industry. It's not an industry they trained for.What is the salary after internship? ›
An Entry Level Intern with less than three years of experience earns an average salary of ₹3.1 Lakhs per year. A mid-career Intern with 4-9 years of experience earns an average salary of ₹5 Lakhs per year, while an experienced Intern with 10-20 years of experience earns an average salary of ₹8.8 Lakhs per year.Do internship students get salary? ›
Average starting Salary for Student Intern in India is around ₹0.2 Lakh per year (₹1.7k per month). No prior experience is required to be a Student Intern. What is the highest salary for a Student Intern in India? Highest salary that a Student Intern can earn is ₹12.3 Lakhs per year (₹1.0L per month).