What are organizational skills?
Organizational skills allow you to effectively use your time, energy, strength, mental capacity and physical space to achieve the desired goals. They are one of those soft skills you bring with you to any position and every employer looks for.
In reality, recruiters do not know whether you are a chaotic or organized individual. This is why you should provide evidence for them by presenting a well-built resume full of appropriate words, phrases and sections.
Why are organizational skills important on your resume?
Only top-notch employees have organizational skills. You might be a brilliant and well-educated person, but you will never be the best version of yourself without these soft skills.
Chaotic employees usually miss deadlines or do not complete their tasks correctly. Therefore, they are not reliable and cannot manage serious projects.
Organizational skills are a vivid sign of productivity. Recruiters are more likely to recognize you when you reach your goals. This way, you add value and contribute to the success of the company.
Furthermore, these soft skills show that you can manage your time and achieve a work-life balance. This fact is crucial in today's world full of stress and anxiety.
In addition, organizational skills provide information that you can keep track of processes in a company. Therefore, you are a fantastic communicator and team player as you offer a pleasant working environment, which is crucial for progress and success.
What skills, activities and accomplishments help you highlight your organizational skills
Here are the most valuable skills that prove your organizational skills and convince recruiters to call you for an interview:
- Communication & Delegation: having excellent organizational skills means that you can communicate your orders and ideas properly. It indicates good teamwork and the ability to delegate the right tasks to the right employees.
- Strategic Thinking: it proves that you are a rational individual who analyzes and evaluates critical factors that impact a company. Strategic thinking also demonstrates your ability to prioritize and manage tasks smartly.
- Attention to Detail: you should show significant attention to detail as employers are aware of the fact that small things have a massive impact on overall performance
- Time Management & Planning: time management is a characteristic of top-notch employees. It demonstrates that you plan every step in your professional life.
How to demonstrate Organizational Skills on your resume
- Describe a challenging situation where everything suddenly took the wrong direction, but you still managed to fix it
- Provide examples of important events/projects that you managed
- Explain how you work under stress and tight deadlines
- Describe tactics that you use to communicate orders and ideas within a team
- Show how you maintain your work/life balance
Keeping your workplace clean and safe is also a sign of good organizational skills. However, they will not bring you the desired position.
Therefore, you should be more specific in your resume. Use the appropriate action verbs to emphasize results and outcomes. Thus, you will show that you have a strong work ethic and solid organizational skills. Let's see the following resume snippets to get more precise.
Example 1: Demonstrate organizational skills in the experience section
School Administrator applying for the position of Director
School AdministratorClark High School
09/2010 - 11/2020
Las Vegas, NV
Running the day-to-day operations of the school by managing the whole staff for 10 consecutive years
Conducted international conferences with other schools from 3 continents twice every year
Organized the process of distribution of school resources of over 10 000 students
Proposed and applied improvements in the K-12 curriculum resulted in a 22% increase in students' performance
Oversaw school budget and ensured every department received enough resources to perform everyday activities
The following candidate has tremendous experience. However, what makes them stand out among other applicants are the well-structured and specific bullet points.
They ran the day-to-day operations and managed the school resources. Their success is supported by the fact that they delegated tasks to the right people, indicating good communication, intuition and reliability.
Furthermore, they paid strict attention to details as they oversaw the budget and proposed improvements in the curriculum. Combined with strategic thinking and self motivation, their actions led to better overall performance.
It would be best if you showed organizational skills in the same way. Prove results that demonstrate attention to detail, strategic thinking and good communication. Do not hesitate to mention that you delegated tasks to other employees. Recruiters prefer leaders rather than passive workers.
Example 2: Show organizational skills in the resume summary section
Event Planner applying for the position of Activities Director
A skilled event planner with 6+ years of expertise in a fast-growing agency in San Francisco. Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) certification. Organized 100+ business events with over 500 attendees.
This applicant mentioned their certification and showed encouraging numbers. Follow their example and use appropriate action verbs to emphasize results and outcomes. Write down only those qualities, abilities and experiences that present you as a well-qualified professional with excellent organizational skills.
Example 3: Key achievements
Marketing Expert applying for the role of Marketing Executive
Part of a movement
Participated in establishing the biggest medical education brand in Eastern Europe. Drove the marketing initiatives that increased brand awareness by 500%.
Strategy for millions
Proposed, applied and presented a marketing strategy about the company's value proposition. It led to enormous success in 1 year and attracted 5 high-profile investors. Major companies in the medical field duplicated the same strategy.
Obviously, the marketing expert has a huge chance to get the position. Their achievements prove productivity and strong work ethic as well as strategic thinking. Thanks to their soft skills, the idea found general approval in one year.
Remember that your professional achievements should prove that you are good at prioritizing activities and paying attention to the crucial details for success. This way, you indicate excellent organizational skills and recruiters will recognize you.
Example 4: Demonstrate the skill through Day of My Life & Volunteering Sections
Resume of a Senior Software Engineer
Family & friends
Music and TV
Planning the next day
The best way to prove excellent time management is to achieve work/life balance. As you see, the candidate dedicated time and energy to their team, developing new skills and reading. This fact provides evidence that they are outstanding specialists who always strive for progress.
Use the same strategy and emphasize the skills that make you stand out. For example, mention having a to-do list for every day. This way, you impress the recruiters with self motivation and good planning.
Intern applying for the role of Entertainment Manager
10/2019 - 02/2021
New York, NY
WarnerMedia is a powerful portfolio of iconic entertainment, news and sports brands.
Built effective relationships with 3 critical influencers in the local district
Managed resources and relationships effectively for 13 months
Ensured events' sanitation and hygiene
Volunteering is the perfect way to demonstrate excellent organizational skills. In this section, you can provide additional evidence that you have experience in managing activities. Support your abilities with facts that present you as a valuable and reliable employee.
Organizational Skills: Key Takeaways for Your Resume
- Be clear & specific: do not waste words and time to explain long stories. Use simple but meaningful words that provide evidence for your organizational skills and professional experience.
- Show results: recruiters will pay attention to your results as they signify deep experience, work ethic and productivity.
- Demonstrate strategic thinking: prove that you can prioritize tasks and ideas, analyze and plan projects and activities.
- Show outstanding work/life balance: it will prove that you apply organizational skills in personal and professional aspects. Time management is a crucial prerequisite for success.
- Emphasize communication and experience: an individual capable of delegating orders to the right people is a critical factor for the success of every company. Being a team player will help you affirm yourself as an admired leader.
About this report:
Data reflects analysis made on over 1M resume profiles and examples over the last 2 years from Enhancv.com.
While those skills are most commonly met on resumes, you should only use them as inspiration and customize your resume for the given job.